CBD for Anxiety:
CBD for anxiety is the most recently explored topic. Researchers have in mind since the beginning that CBD can effectively treat anxiety and therefore it can be transformed into an influential anti-depressant. Let us take a glimpse at how this journey began and to where it led.
What does the research say about CBD and anxiety?
A study was published this January. It involved the role of CBD as an anti-depressant that can cure anxiety. This study was done on humans. 72 people were involved in it. They were only given CBD and nothing else. The aim was to see if their anxiety gets better and if CBD is able to treat anxiety. Results were actually encouraging. Out of 72 people, 57 people showed extra-ordinary recovery from anxiety. Anxiety was not only cured but their physical health was also improved. In addition to this, the results were sustainable. People who recovered admitted that their recovery was not temporary but the effect of CBD in the treatment of anxiety is actually long-lasting.
Orygen – The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health study service unit sponsored a trial according to Good Clinical Practice guidelines. The trial was done at the Headspace Glenroy facility. Basically, it was a collaboration between two highly reputed institutes, one being Orygen, The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health and the other being Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics at the University of Sydney. It was based on twelve weeks. Participants were selected keenly. They ranged between 12 years of age and 25 years of age.
All of the participants were already diagnosed with anxiety. It means that they were suffering from anxiety when they were selected as the participants of this CBD based trial. A schedule was made and it was decided when participants will be given CBD. Moreover, schedule also contained the set-up from minimum dosage to the maximum dosage. It was decided that each of the participants will be given CBD twice a week for 12 weeks. After being induced the particular amount of CBD for a particular time, participants were diagnosed again. Results, again, were hopeful. They were recovered amazingly and to a significant level.
In 2015, a study was published in the journal called “Neurotherapeutics”. The study was named as “Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders“. It aimed at bringing out the effects of CBD in the treatment of anxiety. The results of this study were no exception. Researchers found that CBD effectively cures anxiety without causing any harmful side effects.
Why did researchers turn to CBD for the treatment of anxiety?
There were various reasons that forced researchers, scientists as well as pharmaceutical agencies to consider CBD for the treatment of anxiety. Before dwelling into the reasons it is important to keep in mind that since centuries, the cannabis plant has been used in one way or the other for the treatment of related ailments. In traditional societies, it was the sole healer. As CBD is an important part of the cannabis plant, therefore, researchers always had in their mind that it can be brought to productive use after a careful analysis. CBD, therefore, was there as an option.
Now let us move towards the other reasons that further instigated the incorporation of CBD. All the other drugs, medicines, oils and anti-depressants healed anxiety at the cost of long term side effects. Associated with all the previously used anti-depressant drugs were other harmful effects that stayed with the person for ever. They did cure people suffering from anxiety but they also left the person with insomnia, nausea, vomiting, sexual dysfunctionalities and erectile dysfunction (in men). In such cases, loss of health exceeded the gained health. Doctors were worried that the side effects may get strengthened with time and transform into severe health issues. With CBD, no harmful effects have been traced out so far.it falls true to its merit and therefore acts as a true healer.
Another significant reason was that all the anti-depressants and drugs did not just work instantly. They required a lot of time to start performing their required functions. For instance, if you suffered from anxiety at the moment and you took anti-depressant during the same phase, it did not seem to work as per your wish. It used to take weeks before showing results. Therefore questions about their effectiveness and slow response were circulating. Anti-depressants were not helping people as they were supposed to. CBD, on the other hand, is highly efficient. You do not have to wait for days in order to see its result.
But the most important reason was the results of previously used anti-depressants were temporary. Once people stopped taking medicine, the symptoms and the anxiety used to come back. Hence, the treatment could not be relied upon. However, CBD revolutionized the treatment of anxiety along with other mental health-related conditions. The impact of CBD in treating anxiety is so concrete that it lasts longer. Therefore, no doubts have been placed on its effectivity so far.
How Does CBD work for the treatment of anxiety?
• All the researches made in relation to CBD and anxiety have reached the same conclusion. CBD reduces the symptoms of anxiety in a very powerful mechanism. Patients, after being exposed to a defined dosage of CBD were then taken for the brain scan. Scans showed some really encouraging results. The areas of the brain that were associated with anxiety were seen having a sufficient amount of blood flow that was previously not available.
• In addition to this, CBD positively affects the overall outlook of a brain with respect to anxiety. It not only eradicates anxiety but also changes the way how brain receptors react to anxiety. As we all know the brain is the circuit house of the human body so if the circuit house does not generate negative waves in response to any stimulus, nothing bad can happen to the mind or to the body.
• One most important thing to note down is that CBD is effective to such an extent that along with treating anxiety, it also cures different forms of anxiety. Most notably, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and panic disorder.
• Another mechanism through which CBD works for the treatment of anxiety is with the help of receptors. Receptors are basically the chemical compounds that are made of proteins and are located on cells. As the name implies, receptors are meant to recognize stimulus and receive signals from them. They are like antennas. CBD interacts with two kinds of receptors that are CB1 and CB2. CB1 is found in the central nervous system whereas CB2 is found in the peripheral nervous system. There, it changes how the receptors interpret negative signals and how the brain as a whole reacts to anxiety.
• Adding to the mechanism of how CBD operates includes its function with regards to serotonin levels. Serotonin has a significant role in the mental health of a person because it acts as a neurotransmitter. People suffering from depression have a very low level of serotonin and low levels of serotonin are linked with the people who are mentally disturbed. This leads to anxiety. CBD influentially raises the levels of serotonin and hence puts a full stop to anxiety for once and for all.
You may also be interested in other article on CBD For Mental Health