What to do when my dog ate weed?
What to do when my dog ate weed

What to do when my dog ate weed?

What to do when my dog ate weed? First relax…There are several studies that show the positive effect of treating all kinds of animal disorders with CBD, the non-psychoactive ingredient in cannabis. THC, however, is a whole other story.

Do not try to make your pet get high. It’s not cool, not funny, and in fact very dangerous for your four-legged friend. Animals that are released at home, especially dogs and cats, can accidentally consume something that has THC in it. A cookie can be very tempting for animals, and even a simple flower can be snatched away by your pet. Either way, if it happened that cannabis got into their systems, you are probably afraid of what might happen. so what are we doing?

The first and most important part is without panic, let’s try to understand what condition your pet has entered. We have arranged for you the possible cases, from the less dangerous to the more dangerous:

There are several studies that show the positive effect of treating all kinds of animal disorders with CBD, the non-psychoactive ingredient in cannabis. THC, however, is a whole other story.

Do not try to make your pet get high. It’s not cool, not funny, and in fact very dangerous for your four-legged friend. Animals that are released at home, especially dogs and cats, can accidentally consume something that has THC in it. A cookie can be very tempting for animals, and even a simple flower can be snatched away by your pet. Either way, if it happened that cannabis got into their systems, you are probably afraid of what might happen. so what are we doing?

The first and most important part is without panic, let’s try to understand what condition your pet has entered. We have arranged for you the possible cases, from the less dangerous to the more dangerous:

There are several studies that show the positive effect of treating all kinds of animal disorders with CBD, the non-psychoactive ingredient in cannabis. THC, however, is a whole other story.

Do not try to make your pet get high. It’s not cool, not funny, and in fact very dangerous for your four-legged friend. Animals that are released at home, especially dogs and cats, can accidentally consume something that has THC in it. A cookie can be very tempting for animals, and even a simple flower can be snatched away by your pet. Either way, if it happened that cannabis got into their systems, you are probably afraid of what might happen. so what are we doing?

The first and most important part is without panic, let’s try to understand what condition your pet has entered. We have arranged for you the possible cases, from the less dangerous to the more dangerous:

  • A “raw” flower that has not undergone anything – cannabis is not oxidized (burned), so THC is inactive.
  • A flower that has already burned – not recommended, because there may be remnants of THC inside that we become active.
  • Food that is not dangerous for livestock with cannabis baked with it – THC will reach their digestive system, but beyond that there is no danger.
  • Cannabis butter – the risk varies depending on how much cannabis is concentrated and how much butter they ate. 
  • Concentrates – Any cannabis concentrate, can have very dangerous effects on animals, especially small ones mainly because of the high concentrations of the active ingredients.
  • Cannabis Chocolate – Leave the cannabis, the chocolate itself is very toxic to dogs and cats.

The dosage of the active ingredients in cannabis plays an important role in how severe your pet’s condition can be. How strong was what the dog ate? There is a big difference between 10 mg THC and 100 mg, especially if it is a small puppy. Did he chew a gram of cannabis? Eighth gram?

What to do when my dog ate weed?

Once you understand the amount your pet has consumed, you can more easily choose the treatment method. If it is a small amount or something with a low THC percentage, you will be happy to know that this is the mild case. The second step is to diagnose his symptoms, if the poisoning is mild, you will notice the slowness, drowsiness, increased saliva production and pitching.

More severe poisoning will include complete loss of control of the animal’s body, low blood pressure, low heart rate, convulsions and even death (only in the case of suffocation from their own vomit).

Now you can start acting. If you have charcoal pills (you can buy them at any pharmacy, and it is recommended to keep them at home if you are afraid of such a case), let your pet swallow one to absorb the toxins from the stomach.

If you act fast, you will be able to absorb most of the THC before it enters the bloodstream. Do not give charcoal balls if you want to make the dog vomit, which is the next step.

Try to make your pet vomit. If you have hydrogen peroxide, give them a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per 5 kg of its weight every 15 minutes (but no more than three teaspoons).

Watch it closely, because this method can cause severe vomiting or bloody stools. Do not overdo it, and pay attention to signs of distress. If you notice such – contact a veterinarian.

At this point you will probably feel terrible and heartless, and your pet will not understand why this is happening. Sorry, but there is no other way.

If nothing else works, and especially if you understand that your pet has consumed serious amounts of THC, it’s time to call a veterinarian. Be honest with him – he will probably be able to understand that this is cannabis poisoning anyway, so open communication will save you both a lot of time.What to do when my dog ate weed?

Give your veterinarian as much information as possible – what type of product it is, how much THC it contains, how long it has been since it was eaten by your pet, etc.

For example, if it is chocolate-cannabis, it can put your pet at high risk. Be precise with the details.

Can Cannabis Really Kill My Pet?

The answer is technical, yes. A 1983 study found that 130 mg of THC per kilogram of dog weight killed 50% of the dogs in question. But nevertheless, it is possible to treat successfully in most cases with quick and smart action. Of course, the most effective way is to simply avoid such a nasty situation. Keep your cannabis in a safe place, out of reach or foot of your pets!

Leave a Reply